What is Provigil? And Side Effects
Modafinil (Provigil) is a medication that promotes wakefulness. It alters the brain’s natural chemicals (neurotransmitters).
- Provigil can be used to treat excessive sleepiness due to sleep apnea or narcolepsy.
- You may also use for reasons not covered in this medication guide.
- If you have ever experienced an allergic reaction, skin rash or skin rash after taking modafinil/armodafinil (Nuvigil), Provigil should be avoided.
- Provigil may cause severe skin reactions, which could require hospitalization. Stop taking medicine and seek emergency medical attention if you experience a skin rash, blisters, peeling, difficulty breathing, skin sores, hives, or other symptoms.
- Tell your doctor before you start Provigil if there are any symptoms such as angina (chest pain), kidney disease, liver problems, heart disease, heart problems, blood pressure medication, recent heart attacks.
- Modafinil can affect the central nervous system. Modafinil can cause cognitive or behavioral problems. You should be cautious if you drive or do any other activity that requires alertness. It would be best to avoid other hazardous activities until you know how the medication affects your wakefulness.
- Before you take this medicine
- If you have ever experienced an allergic reaction, skin rash or any other side effects from modafinil/armodafinil (Nuvigil), should be avoided.
If you are unsure if Provigil is safe, consult your doctor.
- Angina (chest pain);
- Cirrhosis and other liver problems
- Kidney disease
- High blood pressure, history of heart disease or high blood sugar;
- A history of mental illness, psychosis or other mental disorders;
- History of drug or alcohol addiction
Contraception, including birth control pills, injections and implants, skin patches and vaginal rings, may not be enough to prevent pregnancy. Discuss with your doctor the best birth control methods to use while you are taking. Modafinil can pass into breast milk, but it is unknown if it could cause harm to a nursing baby. If you breastfeed a baby, tell your doctor. Anyone under 17 years of age should not use Provigil.
What Should I Do To Take Provigil?
- Follow the instructions of your doctor when you are prescribed. Follow the instructions on your prescription label. This medicine should not be taken in greater or lesser amounts than the recommended dosage or for a more extended period.
- Modafinil can be habit-forming. Do not share medication with anyone, especially if you have a history of drug abuse. Place the medication where it is not accessible by others. It is illegal to sell or give away the medicine.
- To prevent sleepiness during the day, Provigil should be taken every morning. If you need to treat sleep disorders at work, It can also be taken 1 hour before work starts.
- You should read all instructions, medication guides, patient information and other documents provided typically given for 12 weeks.
- You may be treated with a Continuous Positive Airway Pressure (CPAP) machine if you take to treat sleepiness due to obstructive sleeping apnea. The machine uses an air pump to blow pressurized air through your nose while you sleep. Although the pump doesn’t breathe for you directly, the gentle air pressure helps keep your airway open and prevents obstruction.
- Unless your doctor has instructed you otherwise, do not stop using your CPAP machine while you sleep. Combining Provigil and CPAP may be required to treat your condition.
- It is not intended to treat obstructive or obstructive sleeping apnea. You should follow your doctor’s advice regarding any other treatment options for this condition.
- If you experience excessive sleepiness, even after taking medicine, call your doctor.
- It is not meant to replace adequate sleep.
- Keep at room temperature, away from heat and moisture.
Keep track of how much medicine you have used each time you open a new bottle. Modafinil can be abused, and you should be aware of anyone using it without a prescription.
Do You Need Information?
- Usual Adult Dose of Narcolepsy
- 200 mg taken orally in the morning
- For Disruptive Sleep Apnea/Hypopnea Syndrome:
- 200 mg taken orally in the morning
- For Shift Work Sleep Disorder
- 200 mg taken orally once a day, one hour before the start of each work shift
- The Usual Pediatric Dose For Attention Deficit Disorder
Not FDA Approved.
There have been numerous reports of severe dermatologic adverse events and psychiatric events.
- Children under 30 kg: 200-334 mg daily
- Children over 30 kg: 300-425 mg
These dosages were provided by a randomized, double-blind placebo-controlled pediatric study that used an 85 mg tablet coated with film (currently not available in commercially available form). The titration time was varied between 7-9 days and three weeks. Clinical improvement was more evident in shorter periods of titration.
What happens if I miss a dose of medication?
Talk to your doctor about what you should do if Provigil is not taken as prescribed. If you are not going to be awake for more than a few hours, avoid taking the medication. If it is close to bedtime, skip the missed dose. You should not take additional medicine to replace the missing dose.
What happens if I take too much?
What to Avoid?
You may experience a decrease in your ability to think or react. It would help if you were careful driving or doing anything that requires alertness.
It would help if you avoided other hazardous activities until you know how affects your wakefulness.
Modafinil is best taken with modafinil.
Provigil Side Effects
If you are ill, get emergency medical attention signs of an allergic reaction to Provigil Hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of the lips, throat, and lips. Provigil may cause severe skin reactions, which could require hospitalization. If you are experiencing side effects, stop taking this medication and seek emergency medical attention immediately.
- Skin rash, hives or blisters;
- Trouble swallowing, mouth sores
- Fever, shortness or no breath
- Swelling in your legs;
- Jaundice, dark urine; or
- Swelling in the face, eyes and throat.
- If you are using stop and contact your doctor immediately.
- Depression, anxiety, suicidal thoughts and actions
- Trouble breathing, chest pains, irregular heartbeats, or other symptoms.
- The first sign of skin rash is essential, regardless of how minor it may seem.
Some common side effects of include:
- Headache, dizziness;
- Feeling anxious or nervous;
- Back pain
- Nausea, diarrhoea, upset stomach;
- Sleep problems (insomnia); or
- Stuffy nose.
These are not all side effects. Other side effects may also occur. For medical advice regarding side effects, consult your doctor.
What other drugs can affect Provigil?
Modafinil may interact with other drugs, such as prescription and over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, or herbal products. Inform your doctors and health care providers about any medicines you are currently taking, as well as any new or discontinued medications.
Keep out of reach of children. Never share it with anyone. Use only as directed. To ensure that the information on this page applies to your particular circumstances, consult your healthcare provider.
Uses of Provigil
Provigil is approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to treat certain conditions. Provigil can also be used for other purposes, which FDA does not approve.
Provigil approved uses
FDA approved Provigil for improving daytime sleepiness in patients with the following medical conditions.
- Obstructive sleep apnea
- Shift work sleep disorder
Not Approved Uses
Sometimes, Provigil can be used off-label to treat conditions that aren’t FDA-approved. Off-label means that the drug was approved for one purpose but can be used for another. Provigil can also be used for other purposes than those that have been approved.
Provigil for ADHD
Provigil is used off-label to treat attention deficit-hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). It is not recommended as a first-choice treatment for this condition.
While some researchTrustedSource has shown that can help with ADHD symptoms, others have not. The American Academy of PediatricsTrusted Source does not currently recommend for treating ADHD.
Provigil for Depression
People with depression who are not able to take antidepressants alone can use Provigil off-label.
Provigil for MS
Off-label use of Provigil can be used to treat fatigue due to multiple sclerosis (MS).
Provigil For Anxiety
Provigil isn’t usually prescribed for anxiety. Some people claim that helps them to be calmer and focused in stressful situations. Provigil could be misused to treat social anxiety and performance anxiety.
What Does Provigil Look Like on a Drug Screen?
Provigil is rarely detected in urine drug screening tests. Provigil is a stimulant, but its chemical composition is not the same as other stimulants like amphetamines. It is unlikely that it would cause false positives for amphetamines. This is even though there are not much scientific data available.
While Provigil might not be detected in drug tests, athletes should know that stimulants can often be banned. Provigil is included in this list. For instance, the National Collegiate Athletic Association lists stimulants such as as prohibited during sports. If you are taking to treat a medical condition, talk to your coach.